Friday, 27 January 2012

A PlayRoom Makeover: Part II - A Shabby Chic Tent Tutorial


So as you may remember from my first post about the playroom makeover, that the room we have designated as a playroom was just too messy and overwhelming for me to want to spend time down there with my daughters.  Here is a photo of the room last week.


I want to begin by saying that I feel truly grateful and admittedly a little uncomfortable with the amount of space that we have been blessed with in our new house.  The only way that I can comes to terms with this feeling is to be certain that we share our space with others and bless their lives.  In order to do this, I needed to create a space for kids to feel inspired and not too overwhelmed by the chaos of disorganised toys.  Or let's face it, kids can play anywhere, I just don't like the chaos!

I had a burning desire to create a tent where my girls can have quiet time to read or have a tea party.  Once again, the budget is minimal so I needed to come up with a cost effective way to make my shabby chic vision happen.  I happened to be in a dollar store (my guilty pleasure) and these garden stakes caught my eye.


 They were $2.00 each, and I purchased 6, so the project cost me $12.00 altogether!


Since the playroom is carpeted, the stakes stay upright when leaned against each other. I used twist ties to attach all the stakes together.



  
When all the stakes were attached, I covered the tent with 2 old roses sheets I had found at a thrift store ages ago. I used pearls from my Christmas decorations (purchased from Walmart) to tie back the front, hung a stainless steel star with pearls and lined the floor with an old quilt, a bean bag and pillows.




I sewed adorable bunting flags made from vintage bed sheets and lace and strung it across the wall above the tent.   
(see the Country Chiq Etsy store to purchase:



The seating area next to the tent will be moved eventually, but because a couch wasn't in the budget, we purchased two little chairs from Ikea and I added a few accessories I had lying around the house.  Apparently the space is meant for a princess and her unicorn!



Don't you just love this ruffle pillow? I had bought it at Winners for $12.00 about 6 months ago and it was just waiting for a home!

Mission accomplished!  A sweet lil' tent made for two princesses and their very happy mom! 







2 comments:

  1. Love it!! you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these pictures are adorable and amazing,nice work

    ReplyDelete